The history of the school as a going concern really starts on the 17th of March 1952 with the arrival of fifty children from the Swanley Boarding School.

But the actual story goes back five years to 1947 when the owner of Warnham Court, Mr Charles Lucas, put his large country house and estate up for sale.

The house had suffered greatly when, during the war, it had been requisitioned by the government and was in a state of disrepair. In addition to the house, the estate consisted of a renowned herd of red deer, a large vegetable garden and extensive ornamental garden with a collection of exotic trees and plants.

The house and 50 acres of the estate, was purchased 21,755 by the London County Council for conversion to a residential school for delicate children. Mr Lucas retained the deer park and the herd of British Red Deer. However things did not go smoothly and the project was very nearly cancelled.

The future of the school was put in jeopardy when a meeting was held at County Hall in which it was revealed the cost of renovating the school required another 71,720 for further repairs and adaption of the school, an amount vastly over the anticipated costs of the building.

One member of the council stated "There was not the slightest doubt the committee had bought a pup".

Seconding the amendment not to go ahead with the school, another member stated that, "Warnham Court was literally collapsing on the ground where it stood"

Dr Leonard Brown, chairman of the committee responsible for the project, said when the beams were removed, 10 tons of water had emerged from the space between the ceiling and the roof.

The committee voted against cancelling the project and agreed to a further 70,370 in addition to the 1,350 allocated the previous year.

Five years was a very long time for the conversion the school to complete, even allowing for the shortage of building materials in the years immediately after the war.

Eventually, the team of Cooks, Domestic Assistants, Teachers Attendants, Handyman, Clerk and Needlewoman was assembled by the Headmaster, Mr Ernest Savage, and school was ready to receive its first pupils and to be officially opened by Mr Isaac James Hayward, the leader of the London County Council.

Over the years, the school evolved, new classrooms were added, the covered play-area became the Playhouse, a word that described its original purpose and also that it became the school theatre where many pantomimes and musical comedies would be performed.

In 1965, control of Warnham Court School passed from the LCC to the newly formed Inner London Education Authority.

In 1990, there was a further change of hands at the break-up of the GLC, when the School was 'sold' to Lambeth Council.

The school finally closed in 1997 and the estate sold to developers, the house was turned into apartments and houses built on the site of the education block.